Thursday, August 24, 2006

Engineering vs. Medicine II

I love medical drama series; Scrubs, House, Grey's Anatomy, etc. The way doctors are potrayed as these really smart human beings who use their know hows to save the lives of others (and earn lots of $$$ doing it) really impresses me. And adding the fact that it never gets boring in a hospital:

(A patients goes into heart arrest)
Nurse: We've lost an airway.
Doctor: Ok, get me the crash cart, grab me a central line kit stat! I'll bag him. Dopamine, run it wide open.
Nurse: No pulse.
Doctor: Damn it, don't you die on me! Get me an airway, I need a pacing wire!
Nurse: We've got pulse! He's stabilising. You saved his life, doctor.
Doctor: All in a day's work, all in a day's work.


Saving lives, taking credit; lather, rinse repeat. I could certainly live with that. Then I think of my future job as an engineer:

Ben: So the sum of the lower forces is -taps calculator-
Ben: Oh no! -taps repeatedly- MY CALCULATOR HAS RUN OUT OF BATTERIES! How will I be able to complete my stability check for this building in time?!
Doctor: I heard your cry. Quick, take this extra battery.
Ben: Oh thank you! You probably have saved the lives of millions, doctor.
Doctor: All in a day's work, all in a day's work.


It must feel so good to wake up every morning and put on that white coat.

3 comments:

Melyong

lol!!! but it must've been nice to have long ass course before becoming a doctor...

Anonymous

Well, the downside of putting on that white coat would be the fact that if you do screw up, it's usually a royally f*cked up affair. As that geezer in Spiderman said, "With great power comes great responsiblity".

But engineers aren't exactly trivial in comparison. Just remember, who builds those hospitals that doctors work in?

Anonymous

Hmmmm.........well is being a lawyer that bad?? after a long fight in the court room defending an accused rapist or murderer and finally manage to convince the court to drop the charges and get the defendent an acquittal......you feel proud and come out from the court room surrounded by journalists and reporters asking: "Sir Sir how do you feel letting a rapist out from jail and making him a freeman again??.....do you think that your family will be threaten by the victims family??.....are you gonna let your pride clouds your judgement??.....Sir Sir answer me...." then it will only go like "no comment no comment" or "without solid proof and facts, no one is to say that my client is guilty. As a professional, i will have to fight for wat is right nad of coz being objective that is."

Perfect isn't it??

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template 'Minimalist G' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP