Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Pawned By Penang Hill

We made a day trip to Penang Hill on our fourth day of vacation. The weather up there was rather breezy and it certainly made our 2km hike to the canopy walk very bearable. Note that I said to the canopy walk. All the while, I thought that we WERE walking in a canopy walk. When we finally arrived at the end of our hike, to my horror I found this waiting for us:


the REAL canopy walk

I have serious issues with heights. So much so that jumping sometimes makes me nauseous. But I wasn't gonna let the gang find about this so when I saw this unreliable bridge that's hanging 60 feet above the forest, I quickly shouted:

(After seeing the bridge)

Ben: Have to pay. It's not worth it. Let's go back.

Normie: What?

Ben: Have to pay.

Normie: We walked 2km all the way here and it only costs RM5 per person.

Ben: It's not worth it.

Normie: We're crossing the bridge.

Ben: Let's go back.

So we all paid the fee, we all crossed the bridge and we all lived happily ever after. The end. ... Ok fine here's what really happened. The bridge is connected by 4 gigantic trees and there's a pit stop at every one of them. I crossed the first one and I was pretty confident about going all the way, when:

(The tree shook)

Ben: HOLY HELL! THE TREE IS SHAKING!

Adrian: That is why they have a limit of 5 people per tree.

Ben: BUT THERE'S 6 OF US! I'M NOT GONNA DIE LIKE THIS! I'M TURNING BACK!

So there you go. I turned back at the first stop and as a result of that, I quickly acquired various new nicknames such as bo jiao (no dick) and bo hut (no balls). Even the counter guy was laughing at me when he saw me screaming that I wanna go back. The score: Penang Hill 1, Ben 0.

Here's what goes inside Ben The Acrophobe's head while he's crossing the bridge: whenever the bridge shakes or creaks, images of him falling down head first onto the ground below starts flashing through his mind over and over again. And may I add that the bridge ALWAYS shakes and creaks. This is one fear that is gonna take me more than just therapy to get over. Here's a sketch:

Bride O' Death

Photos of the trip here.


-----------------------------------------------------------
Edit 13th Nov: Wanyean's father passed away last night.
-----------------------------------------------------------

0 comments:

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template 'Minimalist G' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP