Friday, July 18, 2008

Jazz Overload

I have always been a fan of jazz songs ever since I first heard of Frank Sinatra and Ray Charles. It was later on that I developed a liking for the more contemporary jazz singers such as Norah Jones, Diana Krall, Michael Buble & Renee Olstead. The last two are more of cover musicians but they both never fail to bring a certain freshness to jazz classics.

Yesterday, I had one of my all time dreams fulfilled; I attended my first ever jazz music concert! How was it, some of you may ask. Well..


I sorta learned that there's this huge difference between jazz songs and jazz music. Jazz songs are accompanied by vocals, which is what I thought the concert that night was all about. Instead, I got a hefty dose of jazz music which was a brand of jazz that was purely instrumental and nauseously repetitive.

Some members of the audience even took a nap! Come to think of it, it's pretty fun to watch. They'll be napping throughout an entire number but as soon as the band finishes playing, they would quickly awake from their slumber to give a round of applause.

But with all that said, the band (David Gomes & The Sextet) was pretty good. I mean I would gladly attend another jazz concert.. maybe in another year.. or two.

Oh, and it helps to have a friend to make fun of the band with :D

0 comments:

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template 'Minimalist G' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP